7/31/2013

In conversation with James Cramer of Tupelo


Tupelo are an exciting, original, acoustic roots act consisting of an eclectic line-up of instruments which includes banjo, guitar, fiddle, double bass, mandolin, harmonica and dobro. 
They have just announced a 4-track EP teaser "Ballerinas Call" taken from their upcoming studio album PUSH ON which was produced by Joe Chester and mixed by Greg Calbi  (Beth Orton, The National, Fallout Boy, Bruce Springsteen) and gets its official release in early 2014. But for now the EP ‘Ballerinas Call’ showcases the variety and musicianship from one of Ireland rising bands and it out Sept 6th on iTunes. We caught up with front man James Cramer to see what he has been up to and what his influences are.

James is the second on the left with the banjo.

1. When and why did you start playing?
I heard Van Morrison singing when I was 9-10 and it dragged me in .

2. Which instruments do you play?
I play guitar , banjo , harmonica and bozouki.

3. What was the first tune(s) you learned?
 I learned 'In to the mystic' on the guitar.

4. Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
 I admire Andy Irvine for his commitment to the song , Van Morrison for his soul and singlemindness and Bruce Springsteen for all those songs and showing people how to put on a SHOW.

5. Which famous musicians have you learned from?
We played some gigs with Imelda May a few years back and we were having a pint after the gig and she said 'Just keep going , it'll happen' . There is no better thing in life when perservence and belief collide.

6. Describe your first instrument.
 My first instrument was a piano my Nana bought me when I was about 3-4. She came from the tenements in town in Summerhill and then they moved to Cabra . She told me she never had the money to buy her children an instrument or send them to lessons so she saved up and bought me one. I wrote my first songs on that piano and I suppose that's where it all began.

7. What are your fondest musical memories?
I started a band when I was 14. I booked us our 1st gig in Frazer's in O Connell St in Dublin. We had 2 songs together , so by booking the gig it put the pressure on . We rehearsed every day all day that summer and we had 20 songs ready for the big gig! We soundchecked and everything was great , we went off for a bag of chips and came back to go and do the gig , the bouncer wouldn't let us in to our own show. We were all 14,15,16. The promoter had to sneak us in up the back stairs.

8. Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
Yes , all I listened to was old music when I started out and still do mainly. Country , Gospel , Blues and proper R n B . When I got into Van I was reading up on what he used to listen to. So what you do is you go back , you must go back, and its a treasure trove for a kid who has not been exposed to this ever. I used to listen to on repeat Leadbelly 'Midnight Special' album, Hank Williams'Cold Cold Heart ' album, and John Lee Hookers ' Collection' over and over.

9. Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD's?
 I love Pete Seeger , Bruce , Dylan , Van, Liam Clancy , Luke Kelly , Tommy Makem, Richard Thompson, it goes on , how long is this interview! The Stones and Them are my band's. Current ones are The Avett Bros , Bon Iver, Band of Horses, Old Crow Medicine Show.

10. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
 Mistakes happen , but that's where rehearsal and an understanding as a band comes in . Sometimes a mistake brings something great because it opens up a space and some thing needs to fill it , and that then creates spontaneity which is the 'Magic'.

11. How often and for how long do you practice?
 At least 2 hours a day sometimes 4-5 .

12. The new EP has a very different sound to it from the  older material, how did this transition occur or did you make the decision as a band to try a new sound?
It wasn't a conscious thing its just the songs I was writing at that particular time were different to the first album , like the songs I'm writing now they are totally different to the new album coming. There is no point making the same album again, you have to keep it moving for the band , your audience and your sanity.
Thanks,
James

1 comment: